Frequently Asked Questions
Pregnancy and NDI
The Nephrogenic Diabetes Insipidus Foundation (NDIF) is dedicated to informing and helping the NDI community. The authors of the information archived on the NDIF website, and the archivists, cannot be held responsible for any damage which may result from using the information on this site without concurrence of your medical doctor. Consult your personal physician for your individual medical needs.
- Am I able to have children if I have NDI? If so, are they likely to get it as well?
- Do you know of any link between diabetes insipidus and infertility? I have a friend who has been trying to get pregnant for many years and is now wondering if there isn't some link with the diabetes. I know that pregnancy involves numerous hormones, and since the diabetes insipidus involves the thyroid, I wasn't sure if maybe infertility has been a problem with anyone that you know of.
- How do I know if I am a carrier of the NDI gene? Do I need genetic screening, and if so, how do I get that?
- If I know I am a NDI carrier, how can I prevent giving birth to a son with NDI?
- If one has NDI normally, can pregnancy change severity of NDI, and if so, will it return to previous level after pregnancy?